Fall 2017 sBC Premier Company Presents
Director/Choreographer: Larry Watts
Music Director: Kathleen Sullivan
Music by: Jeanine Tesori
Book and Lyrics by: David Lindsay-Abaire
SHREK THE MUSICAL is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI.
421 West 54th Street, New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212-541-4684 Fax: 212-397-4684
Friday, November 17 at 7:30pm and Saturday, November 18 at 2pm & 7:30pm
James R. Armstrong Theatre ~ Torrance Cultural Arts Center
Ticket Sales Coming Soon!
Recommended Ages: 6 - adult; all experience levels welcome.
Orientation & Audition: Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 1pm. Please arrive promptly by 1pm for a brief orientation prior to the auditions.
Make-up Audition & Callback: Saturday, September 9 at 1pm. Please contact SBC to schedule a make-up audition at firstname.lastname@example.org. Callbacks are by invitation only.
Audition, Callback & Rehearsal Location: First Baptist Church of Palos Verdes, 28 Moccasin Lane, Rolling Hills Estates.
Audition & Callback Process:
- Fill out an Audition Form and Conflict List and bring with you to the audition - click here for form. Be sure to list all conflicts that you have with the rehearsal schedule; casting is based in part on cast member availability. Missing rehearsals has a negative impact on the cast and the rehearsal schedule, especially if lead characters are missing.
- Bring a song of your choice that showcases your voice and performance abilities the best (at least 32 bars, but you may sing the entire song). Sheet music is strongly preferred by our directors and an accompanist will be available; however, music on CD or MP3 is acceptable. No acappella please. Young children who are new to theatre may have a parent come with them inside the audition room.
- There will be no dance audition; you may leave after your singing audition.
- Everyone who auditions will be cast in the show. Callbacks are by invitation only; you be may invited to participate in the callback process at the audition or via email. Some casting decisions can be made at the audition, so some may be cast into roles without needing to participate in the callback process.
- Callbacks will consist of cold readings from the script, and you may be asked to sing portions of songs from the show. Our music director will work on the songs as a group and then you will be given the chance to sing individually. For this show, our director will also do a dance break during the callbacks to assess dance abilities, so please wear appropriate shoes (ballet flats, jazz shoes, flexible tennis shoes - no flip flops or Ugg style boots). Prior to the callbacks, you should become familiar with the show and the music. You can find the script and performances of the show on the internet (there are several high school versions of the show on Youtube and you can see the Broadway production on Netflix).
- The cast list will be sent to everyone via email prior to the first rehearsal. Our directors do their best to cast the show in a way that maximizes the talents and abilities of the individual cast members, as well as to create the most realistic cast of characters. This takes many factors into consideration including height, age, look, sound, chemistry amongst other characters, and much more. When casting lead roles, preparedness, maturity, self-discipline and respect towards the directors and fellow cast members are taken into account. Leads are considered leaders not stars at SBC.
- Full cast rehearsals will be scheduled every Saturday, 10am – 4pm; actual call times for individual cast members will vary depending on the scenes being rehearsed. A detailed schedule with specific call times will be distributed after casting has been completed.
- Smaller group rehearsals for principal cast members will be scheduled on Thursdays, 6pm – 9pm; cast members may not be called every Thursday. Actual call times for individual cast members will vary depending on the scenes being rehearsed. The full cast may be called Thursday, November 9th.
- In the event that we fall behind schedule due to excessive cast member absences, additional weekday rehearsals may be added for the full cast during the second week of November.
Tech Week: Tech rehearsals are Tuesday, November 14 thru Thursday, November 16, 5 - 9pm
Performances: Friday, November 17 at 7:30pm and Saturday, November 18 at 2pm & 7:30pm
Tech & Performance Location: James Armstrong Theatre, Torrance Cultural Arts Center, 3330 Civic Center Drive, Torrance
Registration and Tuition Information:
- Tuition based program - price includes costume and costume cleaning fees
Adult Participant (no children in show) $595
Child 1 $595
Child 2 $495 (sibling)
Child 3 $395 (sibling)
Parent 1 $295
Parent 2 $295
- Limited scholarships and payment plans available - please contact SBC at email@example.com to request an application. Don't let money stand in your way of joining the cast of this exciting musical - let's talk!
- Registration Packet - coming soon
Non-Discrimination Policy: The South Bay Conservatory is a non-profit organization. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, nationality, sex, ethnic origin or religious belief in its admission, retention, student aid, scholarships or other policies.